took place at the Mathematics Institute, Warwick University, on Friday January 26th 2007
(E=Maths Educator, M=Mathematician, D=Staff Development (approximate descriptions))
Talks will last 25 minutes
10.00-10.30 Arrival, coffee in Maths Institute Common Room
10:30-10:40 Opening: welcome by one of the organisers
10.40-11.40 Session 1: Adrian Simpson (E), Bill Cox (D)
11.40-12.00 Coffee (in conference room)
12.00-1.00 Session 2: Lara Alcock (E), Martin Greenhow (M)
1.00-2.00 Buffet lunch in Maths Institute Common Room
2.00-3.00 Session 3: Keith Weber (E), Tony Gardiner (M)
3.00-3.20 Tea in conference room
3.20-4.20 Session 4: Elene Nardi/Paola Iannone (E), Peter Saunders (M)
4.20-4.30 Short break
4.30-5.30 (flexible end time) Plenary discussion/ summing up
Sessions were chaired by Joe Kyle (Maths Stats and Operations Research Network, University of Birmingham)
(i) the work of Mathematics Educationalists researching university-level mathematics has not yet had a significant influence on the practice of university mathematics teaching, and that
(ii) mathematicians themselves have not successfully communicated their concerns about teaching and learning to Mathematics Educationalists.
It aimed to address three questions:
1. Are there structural factors preventing communication?
2. Are there areas in which mathematicians would like Maths Educationalists to carry out research? Are there Maths Education research outcomes which should be conveyed to mathematicians?
3. How can the two communities inform one another of problems and progress towards solutions?
The organisers hoped that the meeting would be an opportunity for forthright and constructive debate on these and other issues. We invited speakers from three communities:
1. Mathematics Educationalists researching the teaching, learning and assessment of university-level mathematics
2. Mathematicians working and teaching in universities
3. Mathematicians and others concerned with "staff development", and in particular with the training of new academic members of staff.
Organisers: David Tall and Juan Pablo Mejia, Institute of Education, University of Warwick
David Mond, Mathematics Institute, University of Warwick
Michael Grove and Bill Cox, Maths, Stats and OR Network University of Birmingham
The workshop is sponsored by the MSOR Network and by the Mathematics Institute and Institute of Education of the University of Warwick.