List of Selected Publications
NB: Downloadable materials on these pages are presented to ensure timely dissemination of scholarly and technical work. Copyright and all rights therein are retained by authors or by other copyright holders. All persons copying this information are expected to adhere to the terms and constraints invoked by each author's copyright. In most cases, these works may not be re-posted without the explicit permission of the copyright holder.
B. Chen. Worst-Case Performance of Scheduling
Heuristics. Thesis Publishers,
2. B. Chen. Scheduling multiprocessor flow shops. Advances in Optimization and Approximation (D.-Z. Du and J. Sun, Eds.), Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1994. 1–8. ISBN 0-7923-2785-3.
3. B. Chen, C.N. Potts and G.J. Woeginger. A review of machine scheduling: Complexity, algorithms and approximability. Handbook of Combinatorial Optimization (Volume 3) (Editors: D.-Z. Du and P. Pardalos), 1998, Kluwer Academic Publishers. 21-169. ISBN 0-7923-5285-8 (HB) 0-7923-5019-7 (Set).
4. B. Chen. Parametric bounds for LPT scheduling on uniform processors. Acta Mathematicae Applicatae Sinica 7 (1991), 67–73.
5. B. Chen. Tighter bound for MULTIFIT scheduling on uniform processors. Discrete Applied Mathematics 31 (1991), 227–260.
6. B. Chen. A better heuristic for preemptive parallel machine scheduling with batch set-up times. SIAM Journal on Computing 22 (1993), 1303–1318.
7. B. Chen and V.A. Strusevich. Approximation algorithms for three machine open shop scheduling. ORSA Journal on Computing 5 (1993), 321–326.
8. B. Chen and V.A. Strusevich. Worst-case analysis of heuristics for open shops with parallel machines. European Journal of Operational Research 70 (1993), 379–390.
9. B. Chen. A note on LPT scheduling. Operations Research Letters 14 (1993), 139–142.
10. B. Chen. Analysis of classes of heuristics for scheduling two-stage flow shop with parallel machines at one stage. Journal of the Operational Research Society 46 (1995), 234–244.
D. Du, J. Han and B. Chen. An improved heuristic
for one-machine scheduling with delays constraints. Sciences in
13. B. Chen, C.N. Potts and V.A. Strusevich. Approximations for two-machine flow shop scheduling with batch set-up times. Mathematical Programming 82 (1998), 255–271.
14. B. Chen and W. Yu. How good is a dense shop schedule? Acta Mathematicae Applicatae Sinica 17 (1) (2001). 121–128. (PDF copy)
15. B. Chen. Parallel Scheduling for Early Completion. Handbook of Scheduling: Algorithms, Models, and Performance Analysis (Chapter 9) (Joseph Y.-T. Leung, Ed.), Chapman & Hall/CRC, 2004. ISBN 1-58488-397-9. (PDF copy)
16. B. Chen, Y. Ye and J. Zhang. Lot-sizing scheduling with batch setup times. Journal of Scheduling. 9(3) (2006). 299–310. (DOI: 10.1007/s10951-006-8265-7)
17. W. Huang and B. Chen. Scheduling of batch plants: Constraint-based approach and performance investigation. International Journal of Production Economics 105 (2007). 425–444. (DOI:10.1016/j.ijpe.2004.05.028)
18. B. Chen and C.-Y. Lee. Logistics scheduling with batching and transportation. European Journal of Operational Research 189(3) (2008). 871–876. (DOI: 10.1016/j.ejor.2006.11.047)
1. B. Chen and G.J. Woeginger. A study of on-line scheduling two-stage shops. Minmax and Its applications (D.-Z. Du and P. Pardalos, Eds.), Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1995, 97-107. ISBN 0-7923-3615-1.
2. B. Chen, A. Van Vliet and G.J. Woeginger. New upper and lower bounds for on-line scheduling, Operations Research Letters 16 (1994), 221–230.
3. B. Chen, A. Van Vliet and G.J. Woeginger. A lower bound for randomized on-line scheduling algorithms. Information Processing Letters 51 (1994) 219–222.
4. B. Chen, A. van Vliet and G.J. Woeginger. An optimal algorithm for preemptive on-line scheduling. Operations Research Letters 18 (1995), 127–131.
5. B. Chen, A.P. Vestjens and G.J. Woeginger. On-line scheduling of two-machine open shops where jobs arrive over time. Journal of Combinatorial Optimization 1 (1997), 355–365.
6. R. Chandrasekaran, B. Chen, G. Galambos, P.R. Narayanan, A. van Vliet and G.J. Woeginger. A note on 'An on-line scheduling heuristic with better worst case ratio than Graham's List Scheduling', SIAM Journal on Computing 26 (1997), 870–872.
7. B. Chen and A. Vestjens. Scheduling on identical machines: How good is LPT in an on-line setting? Operations Research Letters 21 (1997), 165–169.
8. B. Chen. A review of on-line machine scheduling: Algorithms and competitiveness. Mathematical Theory and Applications 19 (1999). 1–15.
9. B. Chen, D. Du, J. Han and J. Wen. On-line scheduling of small open shops. Discrete Applied Mathematics 110 (2-3) (2001). 133–150. (DOI: 10.1016/S0166-218X(00)00268-7)
10. Y. Zhang, S. Wang and B. Chen, On-line preemptive scheduling on uniform machines. Journal of Systems Science and Complexity 14 (4) (2001), 373–377.
11. L. Babel, B. Chen, H. Kellerer and V. Kotov, Algorithms for on-line bin packing with cardinality constraints. Discrete Applied Mathematics 143 (2004). 238–251. (DOI:10.1016/j.dam.2003.05.006)
12. B. Chen, X. Deng and W. Zang, On-line scheduling a batch processing system to minimize total weighted job completion time. Journal of Combinatorial Optimization 8 (2004), 85–95. (DOI: 10.1023/B:JOCO.0000021939.01674.1f)
13. Z. Wang, W. Xing and B. Chen. On-line service scheduling. Journal of Scheduling 12 (2009), 31–43. (DOI: 10.1007/s10951-008-0075-7)
1. B. Chen. Intermatroid: A generalization of the intersection of two matroids. Journal of Universities' Applied Mathematics 4 (1989), 319–326.
2. B. Chen, X.D. Hu and F.K. Hwang. Optimal binomial group testing with a test history. Probability in the Engineering and Information Sciences 4 (1990), 523–530.
3. B. Chen, R. Hassin and M. Tzur. Allocation of bandwidth and storage. IIE Transactions 34 (5) (2002), 501–507. (DOI: 10.1023/A:1013535723204)
4. J. Zhang, B. Chen and Y. Ye. A multi-exchange local search algorithm for the capacitated facility location problem. IPCO 2004. Journal version in Mathematics of Operations Research 30 (2005), 389–403. (DOI: 10.1287/moor.1040.0125)
5. X. Chen and B. Chen. Approximation algorithms for soft-capacitated facility location in capacitated network design. Algorithmica 53 (2009), 263–297. (DOI: 10.1007/s00453-007-9032-7)
6. X. Chen and B. Chen. Cost-effective designs of fault-tolerant access networks in communication systems, Networks 53 (2009), 382–391. (DOI: 10.1002/net.20306)
1. B. Chen, X. Chen, and X.-D. Hu. The price of atomic selfish ring routing, Journal of Combinatorial Optimization 19(3) (2010), 258–278. (DOI: 10.1007/s10878-008-9171-z)
2. B. Chen. Equilibria in load balancing games. Acta Mathematicae Applicatae Sinica (English Series) 25(4) (2009), 723–736. (DOI: 10.1007/s10255-009-8832-8)
3. B. Chen and S. Gurel. Efficiency analysis of load balancing games with and without activation costs. Journal of Scheduling 15(2) (2012), 157–164. (DOI: 10.1007/s10951-011-0247-8)
4. D. Du, B. Chen, and D. Xu. Quantifying the efficiency of price-only contracts in push supply chains over demand distributions of known supports. OMEGA 42(1) (2014), 98–108. (DOI: 10.1016/j.omega.2013.03.004)
1. Z.C. Liu, X.D. Hu, D.-Z. Du and B. Chen. A note on Rosen's algorithm. Journal of Systems Science and Mathematical Sciences 12 (1992), 94–96.
2. P. Leal de Matos, B. Chen and R. Ormerod. Optimisation models for re-routing air-traffic flows in Europe. Journal of the Operational Research Society 52(12) (2001), 1338–1349. (PDF copy)
3. D. Xia and B. Chen. A comprehensive decision-making model for risk management of supply chains. Expert Systems with Applications 38 (2011), 4957–4966. (DOI:10.1016/j.eswa.2010.09.156)